Sometimes it’s the simple meals that are the best! I made this for two reasons, 1. I really fancied a tomato based spaghetti 2. I needed a meal that we could make using what we had left in the kitchen.
The great thing about this recipe is that although I’ve added timings for how long to cook the sauce it’s not a strict timing. If you have things to do that means the sauce cooks for a little longer then so be it! Just keep and eye on it and stir occasionally and Just add the prawns and cook the spaghetti when you’re ready! Which is why this is also a great recipe for those busy days.
This recipe just goes to show you don’t need lots of fancy ingredients to make a delicious meal and what you already have can be thrown together to make something beautiful!
MOOD: Anything in your cupboard/fridge kinda night
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 300g Spaghetti (this was enough to feed 3)
- 2 pack of prawns (I used the frozen ones from Aldi, reduce to 1 pack if only making for 2)
- 4 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 red chilli (deseeded and finely chopped)
- Handful of basil and some extra for garnish
- 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- Parmasan (for serving, the amount is up to you!)
- Heat the olive oil in a pan on a low heat, once hot add the garlic and chilli for a couple of minutes stirring occasionally (be careful not to burn the garlic)
- Add the chopped tomatoes, the chopped basil (make sure you save some to sprinkle over the dish at the end), sugar, tomato purée, salt and pepper.
- Fill the empty chopped tomato can with water and add this to the pan. Turn the heat to medium/high and bring the sauce to a boil.
- Let the sauce boil like this for about 5 minutes then turn down to a low heat, cover with a lid and leave to simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- At about 1 hour 45 minutes into cooking the sauce add the prawns and cook the spaghetti to packet instructions.
- Once the spaghetti is done and your prawns are cooked, drain the spaghetti, add to the sauce and mix well to coat.
- Transfer to pasta bowls, sprinkle over with basil and Parmesan – I drizzled a little chilli oil over at this point but that’s entirely up to you!
There you have it, a simple but delicious meal.
Enjoy – Tasha x