So it was Sunday night and the food shopping was due at 9.30pm! We usually shop for the week on Saturday or Friday but this week I managed to get a delivery slot and so had very little planned for Sunday night – so, it was time to rummage through the cupboard to see what I could throw together.
Pasta was an instant thought, we’ve been on low carb lunches so the chance to do pasta was one I wasn’t going to miss! Who knew that linguine… sardines… olives… tomatoes.. and whatever else I could find was going to make this masterpiece! I can’t take all of the credit, I remember watching Saturday Kitchen one morning and the chef was making sardine spaghetti – I couldn’t find the episode so just threw whatever I could find into the pan and it worked!
Mood: using whatever’s in the cupboard and fridge… super fresh and flavourful!
– 2 x Tinned sardines
– 7 – 8 Cherry tomatoes
– A quarter of a red onion
– A handful of parsley
– 7 – 8 Olives (mine were in a jar but any will do)
– 4 cloves of garlic
– A handful of pea shoots
– 1 tsp of tomato purée
– Half tsp of chilli flakes
– 1 Tbsp olive oil
– Parmesan (optional) – we dont give measurements for parmesan because too much is never enough!
1. In salted water, cook the linguine
2. In a separate pan, heat the oil with the red onions until they soften
3. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes
4. Add the tomatoes for another 2 minutes
5. Add the sardines
6. Chop the olives and add to the pan
7. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the chilli flakes and parsley
8. Take the al dente pasta and add to the sardines. Add the tomato purée.
9. Take two tablespoons of the pasta water and add to the pan. Mix well.
10. Plate up, add the pea shoots and parmesan
Enjoy! Seriously, that easy!! Hardly needed anything and you can mix up your ingredients to suit you!
Let me know what you think
– Raj xo