This is one of my favourite dishes. I love both duck breast and dauphinois potatoes. We also served this with some honey glazed carrots and parsnips and added some freshness with pea shoots. It truly is very simple to do too 😁
Mood: feeling fancy
• Duck breast
• Potatoes (I used Jersey Royals)
• Double cream (280 ml)
• Butter (1tsp)
• Garlic (2tbsps)
• Grated cheese (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 160c
2. Peel and wash your potatoes. I actually part boiled them to speed up the cooking process.
3. Pat the potatoes dry. Chop them into slices – same thickness for each one and layer them into a baking dish. At each layer add salt and pepper.
4. In a pan heat a knob of butter, garlic, salt, pepper, rosemary and double cream.
5. Once you’ve layered your potatoes pour over the cream mixture.
6. Place in the oven for around 40 minutes. (30 mins in add the grated cheese on top if you’re adding it!)
7. Next get your duck out of the fridge and let it rest at room temperature for at least 10-15 minutes.
8. Score the skin and season both sides well with salt pepper and rosemary
9. Using a hot griddle pan, on medium heat, place the duck skin side down for 4-5 minutes. This will ensure a really crispy skin
10. Increase the heat of the oven to 180-190 and put your duck straight in if your pan is oven safe, otherwise place on a ready-heated baking tray and cook for 15-18 minutes.
11. Use a meat thermometer to get your duck just the way you want it… according to mine it’s 54C for rare, 62c for medium and 65C for medium/well done.
12. Remove from the oven and let it rest. Leave to rest for around 8-10 minutes before cutting
13. Gravy – you can use the duck fat from the pan and some reduced red wine would work so well.
14. Take out your dauphinois potatoes and serve! (The carrots and parsnips will take the same amount of time in the oven if you do decide to do them too!)
15. Decorate your plate as you see fit and enjoy! Yum!
Enjoy- Raj xo