Fish and chips is such a delicious comfort food I just had to make it at home! Plus Gordon Ramsey inspired me in his 10 minute meals – I can assure you this took a lot longer than 10 minutes!
Mood: Friday night fakeaway feeling.. comforting and satisfying
– Maris Piper potatoes
– Cod (I could only get loin)
– 120g Self-raising flour
– 60g Cornflour
– 130ml Water OR beer (you’ll need water too!)
– Vegetable oil (for frying)
– 1 tbsp Curry powder
– 1 tsp Baking powder
– Salt and vinegar to season the chips
1. Prepare your potatoes, peel and cut them into similar sized strips.
2. Submerge the chips in cold water (this removes the starch!)
3. Meanwhile pat your fish dry with a paper towel. Make the batter.
4. In a bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, curry powder and water (and/or beer) until smooth (I then separated half the batter for the chips into another bowl and kept half for the fish!)
5. Heat your oil – you can use a deep pan or a wok works fine if you don’t have a deep fryer.
6. Dry your potatoes
7. Season your fish with salt.
8. Coat your fish in the batter and fry, placing it in the oil away from you.
9. Baste the fish every few minutes. It should take around 4-5 minutes to cook
10. Coat your chips and wipe excess batter off, deep fry
11. Leave your fish to rest for a few minutes. You can put it in the oven for a few minutes on the “keep warm” setting if you’re still waiting for the chips!
10. Season the chips well with salt and vinegar and serve!
We used had some tartare sauce, curry sauce and a wedge of lemon. Yum!
Quick and easy… enjoy! Raj x