Easy peasy! That’s what most recipes should be right?! So I’ve skipped making the pastry to make this one of the easiest recipes for the most comforting food. I’m a big Quorn lover. I think it’s a brilliant alternative to meat. A few followers asked for some vegetarian pie recipes. So here we have it..
Mood: comforting hearty food
This will serve 4 quite comfortably
⁃ Shop bought shortcrust pastry (1sheet)
⁃ Shop bought puff pastry (1 sheet)
⁃ Quorn pieces (3/4 of a bag)
⁃ Mushrooms (7-8 large mushrooms)
⁃ Spring onions (3)
⁃ Leeks (2)
⁃ Vegetable stock (1 cube)
⁃ Creme fraiche (1 tbsp)
⁃ Butter (1tbsp)
⁃ Plain flour (1tbsp)
⁃ Thyme (1tsp)
⁃ Parsley (1tbsp)
– Garlic (1tbsp)
– Splash of lemon juice
⁃ 1 egg, beaten (or you can use milk)
1. Preheat your oven to 180c
2. Get your shortcrust pastry out of the fridge 10 mins before you want to start using it. Roll it out, place your pie dish on it and cut around your pie at least 2cm bigger than the dish
3. Place your pastry into the dish and prick it with a fork
4. Add your baking beads (or dry lentils work great) into the pie crust – use parchment paper to line it before adding the beads or lentils
5. Cook your filling! Start by frying your leeks, some onion, garlic, Quorn in a little oil.
6. Add your mushrooms.
7. Next make a roux from a tbsp of butter and a tbsp of plain flour. Add a handful of spring onions. Stir over a low heat.
8. Add your vegetable stock slowly, only need about 500ml of the veg stock.
9. Continue to stir and add a tablespoon of creme fraiche. This should form a thick sauce.
10. Add your quorn, mushrooms and leeks.
11. Add parsley, thyme, salt, pepper. Add a splash of lemon juice and mix.
12. Remove your puff pastry from the fridge and let it sit for 10 minutes.
13. Once your shortcrust pastry has been blind baked for 10 minutes, remove it from the oven.
14. Remove the beads and preheat uour oven to 200c
15. Add the filling to the pie crust.
16. Cut your puff pastry big enough to cover the top of the pie – leave a little extra and crimp the edges together.
17. Score the top of your pastry and add a small hole with a knife in the centre of the top of the pie.
18. Using the beaten egg (or milk) brush over the pastry
19. Cook for 20-25 minutes until golden brown
20. Serve! And enjoy!
Let me know what you think of this recipe! Hope you found it nice and easy! …and delicious of course 😉
– xo Raj