I decided that instead of a takeaway I’d use this time to try a fakeaway. Decision for what to make was pretty easy when you have a boyfriend that would live on kebabs if he could, so the obvious choice was a donner kebab!
You’ll need a slow cooker for this one, you can either cook it for 7 hours on a low heat or 3/4 hours on a high heat. (If you’re doing it on the high heat I’d recommend 3 hours)
MOOD: Saturday night takeaway
500g lamb mince
1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp mixed herbs
1 1/2 tsp oregano
1 1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1 x red onion (thinly sliced)
1. preheat your slow cooker on the medium setting (low if you’re cooking for 7 hours)
2. While that’s heating up add the lamb mince to a bowl and add the paprika, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, mixed herbs and oregano and use your hands to combine.
3. Once it’s well combined use your hands to compress the meat into a loaf shape as shown below, now I know what you’re thinking, it looks a bit strange at this point but stick with it – it’ll be worth it I promise!
4. Very lightly brush the bottom of the slow cooker with a tiny bit of oil to avoid the meat sticking
5. Add the meat to the slow cooker and turn up to high and leave for 4 hours (or low for 7)
6. Once the meat is cooked remove from the slow cooker and slice as thinly as you can. I attempted to use a potato peeler as recommended but it didn’t work as well as I’d hoped, I found a serrated knife works really well. (Do this slowly and carefully if you want proper strips of meat) I used this large skewer to help with keeping it in place while I shaved the meat but this isn’t necessary.
7. Once you’re shaved all your meat assemble your kebab with a white pitta lettuce and onion (add any additional salad you usually have with your kebab) chilli sauce and mayonnaise.
Serve with chips and there you have it, a homemade donner kebab! You can even save yourself some for later after a few drinks to make it that much more realistic!
Enjoy T x