We had some pork belly to use and since I’ve been craving eating out, I decided to give this a go. Crispy sticky pork belly has to be one of my favourite things to order when out for food and I love trying out new recipes so this was an interesting one for me. I used a recipe I found online with a couple of added extras. This is fakeaway at its best.
MOOD: the perfect cheat meal that you can make at home!
For the Slow Cooked Pork Belly
• 2.2 lb pork belly slices chopped in half
• 1 litre of hot chicken stock
• 1 thumb sized piece of ginger peeled and finely chopped
• 3 cloves garlic peeled and chopped in half
• 1 tbsp. rice wine
• 1 tbsp caster sugar
For the glaze
• 2 tbsp oil (I used olive oil but vegetable oil will do too)
• pinch of salt and pepper
• 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger peeled and minced
• 1 red chilli finely chopped
• 2 tbsp of honey
• 2 tbsp brown sugar
• 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
• 1 tsp of lemongrass paste
• handful of sesame seeds & 3 spring onions roughly chopped (scatter at the end of cooking)
• Add all the slow cooked pork belly ingredients to a pan and bring to the boil, then place a lid on, turn down the heat and simmer for 2 hours.
• Turn off the heat and drain the pork and chop into bite sized chunks.
• mix the glaze ingredients in a small bowl.
• Add 1 tbsp of oil into a frying pan and heat up, once the oil is hot add in the pork, salt and pepper, frying on a high heat until the pork starts to turn golden.
Warning – be careful when frying off the pork as it can spit out of the pan. I have a lovely burn on my face to show for it, so keep a bit of a distance if possible or if you have a guard I would use that.
• Once golden pour the glaze over the pork and continue to cook until the pork looks dark and sticky.
Remove from the heat and serve with some egg fried rice and enjoy – T x